How to overcome writer's block : 5 tips
May 13, 2015
It's easy to get stuck in a rut and lack inspiration when you're a blogger. We've all been there! While it may not seem like it, the last couple of months have been really challenging and I've had a hard time coming up with new blog post ideas. I've been through this so many times, and I think I finally found a way to overcome this dreaded creative block, so I hope sharing these few tips & tricks could be useful to some of you too!
1. Journaling/Lists: Ideas something come up in the most random places. Sometimes you're just sitting in the subway, riding the bus, sitting at a restaurant, or even laughing with friends and BOOM! Ideas come to your head out of nowhere. That's why I've started carrying a notebook with me and write them down while they're still fresh.
2. Reading other blogs/watch YouTube videos: this one is a classic. Sometimes watching videos or reading other people's blogs can give you a few ideas, and scrolling through the Twitter beauty hashtags can help as well. Read up about the latest trends. Listen to podcasts. Go to your local library and let your mind wander. While I would never advise copying anyone's work, expanding your creative process to topics you wouldn't have thought of covering will definitely help in getting you unstuck.
3. Thinking outside the box: if you've spent hours trying to churn out a blog post but nothing comes to your mind, maybe it's time to be bold. Think about a topic that you've never written about, and that is out of your comfort zone. You've been doing reviews for a while? Switch it up. Your everyday look hasn't changed in months? Try something new. And remember that nothing is off limits.
4. Getting some fresh air: going out, getting your body moving even just for a few minutes can really help you clear your head and prevent you from feeling frustrated. That's why I'm a big fan of taking long relaxing walks around my neighborhood. Information overload is a real thing in the digital age, so when outside, try to truly engage with the world around you and completely disconnect from social media. This can help your inner child break free, which in turns can really help with your writing.
5. If all fails... don't force it! It's okay. Sometimes we just don't feel like it, we don't want to write, and it's totally fine. It's better to write at a time when you feel good about it than forcing yourself to do it. Blogging should always be a pleasure and not a chore! Be patient and don't be too hard on yourself.
I hope these tips were in some way helpful to any of you and I wish you all a happy blogging!


0 comments